Job Training Culinary Launch Community Kitchen
Located as part of The Nehemiah Project at Wright School Altoona, PA
First Frontier Kitchen will be a shared use community kitchen located at the former Wright school, a community project from the The Nehemiah Project. Our kitchen’s mission is to Empowering people to live connected lives by helping them discover their purpose and talents through social experiences & meaningful employment in the local hospitality or agriculture industry, in the first frontier region. We accomplish this in a couple of ways at this community kitchen:
Workforce development through an apprentice program for people with barriers to employment. Where we teach the skills needed for employment in foodservice and food manufacturing, as well as, the life skills to remain successfully employed. Our apprentice programs will graduate more than 60 people annually into meaningful employment in this region, where Hospitality & Ag jobs account for 30% of all employment.
Culinary launch & boot camps for food Entrepreneurs looking to start a food related venture such as: food trucks, restaurants, manufacturing, value added for farm products, and bakeries, or caters. We offer shared kitchen space for an hourly rental fee with a membership you get access to chefs, marketing, branding, finance, and legal experts to support you in growing your dream. We expect to launch 12 new food related businesses into the First Frontier Region annually.
Coming in 2019 a theatre kitchen to teach healthier food choices and provide better access to a population in a food desert. A Hydro/Aquaponics growing areas, mushroom growing cave, blast chiller, canning line, organic line, and value added areas for dairy farmers.
First Frontier Kitchen Info Sheet
Culinary boot camps are offered 4 times a year for $499.00, which included your SERV Safe training and certification (a $250 value) and 6 weeks’ worth of classes that cover:
- Week 1 – You have a great idea know how to start up legal and cost
Guest – local Attorneys & Accountants
- Week 2 – The business model canvas & writing a business plan
Guest – Penn State Altoona, St Francis small business ctr, & SCORE
- Week 3 – Recipe development, food cost, profit margins, insurance and licenses
Guest – local Chefs, food service supplier, insurance agent, owners
- Week 4 – 2 day Serve Safe training and certification
Guest – PA Restaurant Assoc., Pest & Quality Control
- Week 5 – Starting a food truck, vending cart and restaurant stories form successful operators
Guest – Local owners and health inspectors
- Week 6 – how & where to get financing listen to local banks, funding agencies and angel investors. Possible pitch opportunity!
Guest – SAPD, ABCD, Reliance Bank, Altoona First, local investors
Classes offered starting in June 2018!
Sign up at www.empoweringlivesfound.org click on First Frontier Kitchens (FFK)
Membership $ 99.00 annual (based on your start date)
Hourly rental $20.00 to $35.00 per hour
- Must have current insurance, serve safe or FMP certification, and current Pa health permit, and attend a FFK orientation.
- A free half hour dedicated to cleaning will be added for any rental over 2 hours.
- Plus, quarterly showcases of developed products and some FFK retail outlets
- Access to conference room, culinary library, and computer with WIFI
- Partnership with labs for testing & Penn State University
- 24/7 access available & secure storage areas for an additional fee
- Available as a test kitchen or to host corporate team building retreats
Call: 814-232-1730 for more info or email: firstname.lastname@example.org